Friday, January 28, 2011

Resumes and Cover Letters

I've never actually applied for a job before, so I have extremely limited experience with writing resumes and cover letters. Thankfully my tutors, especially my essay tutor was able to give me very helpful tips and guidelines that really helped me when I had to write these two things. For the health internship, I'm required to write a resume and cover letter, and this being the first of both that I've ever done I'm not sure how confident I am with them. I'm still pretty young and regarding my work life, I'm quite limited. There are a lot of fields where I need to develop more skills, but as of now I think I'm okay. I think that my cover letter really shows what kind of person I am as well as how I think. I've been told that when writing these two things, you have to choose your words carefully and write out the qualities you believe will be beneficial to the job you are applying for. The thing is, when doing this, people tend to exaggerate or give themselves skills that they cannot live up to. When I wrote my essay and cover letter I kept it as realistic as possible. I'm human and I make mistakes; I don't want to appear as some flawless prodigy who will be perfect at everything I do. I strongly believe that honesty is best, so rather than writing a long list of skills that would make me appear as someone who is over the top, in the end, I only want to portray who I am and not who I wish I was or am still trying to be. I can only state the things I can guarantee of myself, and be open to developign more skills when I do. The cover letter was more of a struggle for me to write, probably because it's more personal and really took me 2 hours but in the end I feel good about it. I'm thankful to everyone who read my resume and cove rletter over and gave me feed back, because every little comment helps me. I hope that in the future writing these won't feel so intimidating, but the challenge of it was quite entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment